Getting Started with Mattermost – User’s Guide
This spring millions of people around the globe were forced to start working remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic.
For some of us, it’s a normal thing to work from home, but for others it’s a real challenge.
If remote working is something unfamiliar and you face difficulties in connecting with the team or managing tasks, the following guide is definitely what you need.
We’d like to share some useful tips on how to organize your working day while staying at home.
Also, you’ll find out about a great application that helps a lot in the new WFH reality, Mattermost messaging platform, as well as get a detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to deploy it on Hidora Cloud.
Useful Tips for Working Remotely
- Communication is very important for being successful regardless of your professional role. Since you’re far away from your colleagues and managers now, make sure to let them know your weekly progress, achieved goals and new projects, bring important milestones up.
- Always plan your time. First of all, set your working hours and remember to let other team members know the schedule, so they are aware when to contact you or set up a meeting. You can use any app or software, providing a calendar function for these needs. It’s also important to let the colleagues know when you’re away from the working place during the day (e.g. lunch, short breaks etc). Pay attention to time zones, if your team is scattered around the globe.
- Track your tasks. It would be a good idea to create reminders and to-do lists in order not to lose something valuable. It’s a really nice way to stay organized and remember about all the tasks, issues, events and critical discussions.
- Control and filter the information streams, this will help to focus on important tasks. When you have to concentrate on something, change online status to inform others that you’re busy and unavailable for now. Filter and prioritize notifications, messages and emails, many of them can be ignored as they aren’t related to work. Organize your mailbox and manage tabs opened in the browser.
- Last but not least, consider what tools, software and applications are required to do your job well and timely. This will immensely help you to coordinate the tasks and to accomplish all the above points.
Mattermost is mostly known as a free, open-source, self-hosted Slack alternative. It allows organizations to collaborate securely in an isolated private network, as well as remotely via VPN connections, without sacrificing privacy or losing data. Such an approach helps teams to generate high-performing workflows for conversational development, continuous deployment, DevOps, and ChatOps, while providing unmatched control, safety, privacy and scalability.
Let’s check out some valuable Mattermost benefits below:
- Easy onboarding: Mattermost has a lot of tutorials that help new users to master the new tool very quickly and without effort.
- User-friendly UI: Mattermost user interface isn’t overloaded with too many features, options, icons etc. (compared to Slack). Very simple and logical, it contains only the required information.
- Excellent communication features, among them: audio and video conferencing; screen, image and file sharing; organized conversational channels; messaging (one-on-one and group); fully searchable threads; custom notifications on desktop, mobile and email; markdown formatting and more.
- Seamless integrations: a lot of third-party app integrations are offered to help teams work faster and more effectively.
- Easy and quick deployment: Mattermost deployment process is extremely simple, especially on Hidora Cloud.
Mattermost Automatic Deployment
Mattermost installation on Hidora Cloud is fully automated and takes only a few minutes. All the daunting work isn’t needed anymore with a pre-packaged production-ready Mattermost environment, which is available through Hidora Marketplace. Please follow a simple guide below.
- Log in to your Hidora Cloud dashboard.
- Navigate to the Marketplace.
- Find Mattermost in the list and click on the Install button.
- In some minutes the installation will be finished. You’ll see the window with the link to your Mattermost application.
- Click on Open in Browser button in the dialog or next to your Mattermost environment on the Hidora Cloud dashboard.
- Now you can start using Mattermost and benefit from open-source team collaboration in the cloud.
Advanced Hidora Cloud technology along with feature-rich Mattermost application makes team interactions much easier and productive as if they were sitting in the same workspace. Such a combination of a great tool with reliable cloud hosting gives all the advantages of modern collaboration with no compromise on privacy or security. We hope you’ll find this post useful and your transition from office to the flexible work from home will be smooth and successful. BTW, you can easily get two months of free Hidora Cloud hosting for your Mattermost app.
Jean-Luc is a Junior Full-Stack Tech Engineer at Hidora with a strong IT background. He is consulting clients about DevOps and also helping Hidora’s customers to make automation deployments and migrate their environments.