How to install Prestashop on your server
In this tutorial you’ll learn how to install Prestashop on your own Cloud Server at Hidora.
Let’s first introduce you to the Prestashop and Prestashop server.
It is a system for managing your CMS, which is a content management system. CMS is your content management system and is designed primarily for online business. With this system, you can manage any content in your business.
It is usually an application, program, or software that allows you to customize your digital content, such as texts, videos, or meta tags.
Thanks to this system, no programming language is required, which makes the work of editors much easier.
Prestashop is one of the selected CMS systems.
From a technical point of view, it is actually a script that is created in the PHP programming language and is intended for storing data through the MySQL database.
A completely standard script contains a large number of modules, but they are equipped with the necessary functionality to create a fully functional website and e-shop.
If you are choosing between several CMS systems, here are the key benefits of Prestashop:
- The system uses more than 130,000 stores
- Over 3,500 users download prestashop server daily
- Available in 56 languages
- User-friendly interface admin part
And the most important thing is – you don’t need extra technical skills to handle the installation! Prestashop hosting and Prestashop cloud hosting are also available.
Minimum technical requirements:
Programming language: PHP 7.0 or higher
Web Server: Apache or Nginx
Database: MySQL or MariaDB
Sources: 1 GB RAM (8 cloudlets in Hidora) and 30 GB disk. For more demanding Prestashop settings, we recommend allocating more cloudets (RAM and CPU) on the Hidora server.
What are the biggest advantages of using Prestashop on Hidora Cloud Server?
One of the most important advantages when you choose to install Prestashop on a Hidora server, especially when compared to other cloud solution providers, is that you can take advantage of vertical and horizontal scaling.
So at a time of increased sales, Hidora simply changes settings for you and allocates more resources. Prestashop is easy to set up, automated, and has implemented all of the best practices to date.
Hidora offers you a variety of programming languages to choose from to choose the one that suits you best. Also included are various applications, including Prestashop.
In the next section, we will explain how to install Prestashop correctly.
It is ideal for those who do not want to worry about the installation method, but simply step by step correctly to the successful conclusion.
In this simple guide, we’ll walk you step-by-step to help you install Prestashop.
Installing any system without any technical skills or experience can be a deterrent, but the Prestashop server will show you that it’s not that difficult.
The most important thing when you install Prestashop is to read what the system is telling you and to proceed accordingly. This great system is not only easy to operate, but also easy to install. Prestashop installation can be done manually by MySQL and FTP. If you know these databases, it will be easier for you.
However, it can also be installed in other ways that we will describe.
1. One click installation
This is the easiest way to install Prestashop. The first successful step is to have a web host provider who has a one-click PrestaShop installation script. Usually it is these webhosting that can guarantee this:
Then you only need FTP information that the web host can provide. If you do not have one, you need to contact the provider. Some webhosts have their own installation scripts. It is Prestashop that works with those providers to make your business run as simple as possible. Moreover, these web hosts have a system tailored to ecommerce.
2. Install Prestashop manually
- This type of Prestashop installation is ideal for you if you already know and at least know basics of MySQL and FTP. Here’s the guide:
- Download Prestashop and open the file on your computer. You will see 3 folders i.e. index.php, Instal_PrestaShop.html and prestashop.zip file. Now you need to extract the prestashop.zip file.
- Create a Prestashop database on your webserver if possible. Name it and click “create”
- If there is no MySQL user with permission to access and modify the database, also create it. Select the Prestashop language you will use and you will also see the License Agreement Page, so click its approval.
- Upload Prestashop files and folders to a specific location on your server.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to create an account and complete the installation.
- However, do not upload the root / Prestashop folder directly: only the files and folders it contains. You will also need to wait a while for the installation to complete.
- Now run the Prestashop installation script by opening the public URL in your browser. This URL should be the one where you uploaded your Prestashop files.
- You can choose to work in a front-end or back-end environment.
- Follow the instructions on each screen during installation. Fill in your login details.
- When the installation is complete, delete the installed file and write down a new / admin folder that was generated for your security unique to you. (root – installed folder – click right and delete).
- After logging in, you should be able to access the Prestashop admin interface.
3. How to install Prestashop locally
Installing Prestashop locally means that Prestashop will not be directly on the Internet, but will run locally on your computer on your local server.
Therefore, you can only be allowed access to it, which is very practical. So you can test various changes, make additions, and change modules without doing any of it online. There are various tools you can use to locate Prestashop server locally.
Learn more about local Prestashop installation here.
XAMPP (Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Solaris)
MAMP (Mac OS X)
These two packages are set local installation: EasyPHP (Windows)
BitNami (Windows, Mac OSX, Linux)
Thanks to this, you should now be able to handle Prestashop installation without major problems. If there are any problems for users, these are usually permission issues. In any case, thanks to Prestashop Server and Prestashop Cloud Hosting, you can turn your online business into a successful business.
Jean-Luc is a Junior Full-Stack Tech Engineer at Hidora with a strong IT background. He is consulting clients about DevOps and also helping Hidora’s customers to make automation deployments and migrate their environments.